html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: MLK Day

PAGES

Monday, January 16, 2012

MLK Day

It's Martin Luther King Day and when this time of year rolls around, she always comes to mind.


Her name is Laurene Wu McLain.  She is a lawyer and a professor and I took her US history class my second year of college.  As a teenager, Professor McLain was so moved by Dr. King that she rode a train across the country to hear him speak.  Having never experienced anything colder than a Bay Area winter, she'd only brought a sweater for the journey. She told us...

"Someone lent me a coat."
And:
"There was such a spirit of brotherhood and unity."
And:
"People told me I was the first Asian they'd ever met." 

At least that's how I remember it.  It was a long time ago.  But my foggy memory is not the point.

The point is this: brotherhood.
The point is this: unity.
The point is this: get to know people that are not like you because all people are just like you.
The point is this: join a worthy cause.
The point is this: when the opportunity arises, lend a coat.





No comments:

Post a Comment