html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Friday Night Videos

PAGES

Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday Night Videos

Michael Ochs Archives / Getty


Like most people, I am not entirely sure what many of Sly Stone's songs are about.  

A good example: in the song If You Want Me to Stay, he's leaving because his woman, it seems, wants to alter his personality.  To this he croons, "For me to stay here, I got to be me." Makes sense.

But later in the song, he sings, "When you see me again, I hope that you have been the kind of person that you really are now." Okay, so does he want the situation to change or stay the same?  Does he want to her to rethink her behavior towards him?  Or is everything cool as it is?

Maybe the whole point of the song is this: relationships are confusing.

In his heyday, Sly had a lot of challenges in his life.  Considering he walked off stage at the Grammys a few years ago and is supposedly living in a van of off Crenshaw Blvd. in LA, I guess it's safe to say the challenges are still part of his day to day.  

Oh, but the talent.  The voice.  The soul.  The warmth.  The agility.  The groove.  He has it and he knows it.  For some time now, he hasn't been too sure what to do with it, but it's there and it can't be taken away by drugs or strange marriages or the signing of dubious contracts.  

Sometimes we just don't know what to do with the gifts God has given us.


Have a wonderful weekend.  And for God's sake, let's use those gifts!


No comments:

Post a Comment