html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Almond-Cranberry Quinoa Cookies

PAGES

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Almond-Cranberry Quinoa Cookies

Quinoa.  Just because it's a wonder grain revered as holy by indigenous cultures of the Andes and nutritionists alike, doesn't mean you're going to eat it.

I can tell you it has more protein and less carbs than wheat, corn, rye, and rice.  I can remind you that it's rich in amino acids.  I can write that it cooks up as easily as rice and that it can be eaten as a breakfast cereal, a salad, or ground into flour and made into pancakes.  I can assure you that it's cheap and tastes good but unless you know what the hell do to do with it, none of that really matters.  And as I haven't always exactly known what to do with it myself, I wouldn't blame you.

For years I've liked quinoa, known the benefits, and have sworn that I was going to make it a regular part of my diet.   Save for the occasional pilaf or salad, me and quinoa never became that good of friends.  I'm going to guess it's because the recipes I had were bland and forgettable.  Then I'd have perfectly prepared quinoa in a restaurant and once again, all the promises would start up again.

It's so good for you!
It's so easy to make!
I'm going to eat it all the time!

Well this time, I'm for real.  I mean, this time I'm for real!

Beginning with the Super Green Quinoa Salad - a bright tasting mix of edamame, peas, cucumber, and mint - I'm embarking on a journey to master this little mighty might.

Next up: Almond-Cranberry Quinoa cookies.  I made these a few weeks ago and they are a not-too-sweet delight.  I can even see someone eating them for breakfast.  Okay, I ate some for breakfast.  Jeez.































Almond-Cranberry Quinoa Cookies

Ingredients

1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup (packed) light brown sugar
¼ cup honey
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup dried cranberries
½ cup slivered unsalted almonds

Chapter 1
Preheat oven to 375°. 
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. 
Whisk flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. 
Using an electric mixer, beat butter, both sugars, and honey in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. 
Add eggs and extracts; beat until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. 
Beat in flour mixture, ½ cup at a time. 
Stir in quinoa, oats, cranberries, and almonds. Spoon dough in 2-tablespoon portions onto prepared sheets, spacing 1” apart.

Chapter 2
Bake cookies until golden, 12–15 minutes. 
Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. 




No comments:

Post a Comment