html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: The Digital Librarian Takes a Plane

PAGES

Monday, April 30, 2012

The Digital Librarian Takes a Plane

When I, the Digital Librarian, take an airplane, I usually write or read or sleep or watch bad television.  There have been times when I've talked to strangers but ever since I sat next to an ashtray smelling motor mouth of a single mom, those days are over.  Now I go out of my way to ignore every single person around me except for the nice folks in snazzy uniforms who bring you bottles of water and overpriced boxes of snacks.  This is my preferred way of travel.  

Photographer Nina Katchadourian has her preferred way of travel.  She takes photos.  Of herself. In the bathroom.  Draped in toilet paper.  As various characters in a 15th century Dutch paintings.  

Nina Katchadourian - self-portraits airplane bathrooms as 15th century dutch painting

Nina Katchadourian - self-portraits airplane bathrooms as 15th century dutch painting

According to the blog where I found these images, she started this project in March of 2010 and continues it whenever she boards a plane.

Nina Katchadourian - self-portraits airplane bathrooms as 15th century dutch painting

Nina Katchadourian - self-portraits airplane bathrooms as 15th century dutch painting

Some people might read about this project and think, "Wow, that lady is really weird."  When I read about it I thought,  "Wow, that lady is productive.  I need to be this productive."  

I have a lot of problems.  That I think putting a toilet seat cover on your head is incredibly productive is just one of them.

Nina Katchadourian - self-portraits airplane bathrooms as 15th century dutch painting

Nina Katchadourian - self-portraits airplane bathrooms as 15th century dutch painting

Nina Katchadourian has an excellent nose.  She is also has upcoming shows in San Francisco, Baltimore, New York, and Delaware.  I suppose that's why she flies so much.

Nina Katchadourian - self-portraits airplane bathrooms as 15th century dutch painting

Nina Katchadourian - self-portraits airplane bathrooms as 15th century dutch painting

Nina Katchadourian - self-portraits airplane bathrooms as 15th century dutch painting


No comments:

Post a Comment