html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Ka-boom.

PAGES

Monday, May 28, 2012

Ka-boom.

I had my mind blown last week. This was incredibly awkward as I was in a roomful of people and I had to pick my mind up off of the floor.

What's that you say? You're curious how it came to be that my head expanded at the speed of light?

Untitled 2 by Julie Loen

Okay, I will tell you.  Let's say you're not happy with your weight.

If you're scared of people judging you...
If you're afraid you can't learn to use the machines or do yoga...
If you make excuses as to why you can't put on a bathing suit to swim laps...
...and you let these feelings stop you, you're behaving like a chicken.

If you plan on an early morning then decide it's no big deal to start tomorrow...
If you hit snooze on the alarm thinking, "Why should I have to get up early..."
If you order curly fries and tell yourself, "I'm not denying myself anything..."
...and you let this self-righteousness get in the way, you're behaving like a brat.

Forget the whore-nun dichotomy and all that other crap I learned in Womyn's Studies classes!
Screw that cartoon image of the devil and the angel sitting on either shoulder of some poor sap!
The two little monsters inside of me I have to keep in check are The Chicken and The Brat. I knew The Chicken was there but The Brat? That's new and oh, man. I'm such a brat.

Ka-boom.



And once again it will be no surprise that the goal is to be the author of your life. When you're authoring, you're neither a chicken nor a brat.  You're creative, happy, proud, and productive.

So yeah, that's what I'm going for.

Image credits
Untitled 2 - Julie Loen, 2010
Girl in Painted Spotlight - Arthur Tress, 1968



No comments:

Post a Comment