html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: My Monday Muse: Five Inspiring Truths and a Photo

PAGES

Monday, July 9, 2012

My Monday Muse: Five Inspiring Truths and a Photo

Meryl Streep
I
New in Hollywood 

A young, hopeful actress is sits at a desk across from the film producer Dino De Laurentiis and his son, Federico. It is the mid-1970’s and the father-son team are casting for the remake of King Kong. The elder De Laurentiis smiles at the American actress before him while speaking in Italian to his son.

“But this is so ugly,” he says. “Why do you bring me this?”

By “this,” he means Meryl Streep.

The younger man has seen her perform and replies in Italian, “No, dad. She’s a wonderful actress.”

But Meryl doesn’t need defending. In textbook Italian learned in college, she replies, “I am very sorry that I’m not as beautiful as I should be.”

With that, she left.

Bernards High School, Bernardsville, NJ, 1967


II
Longevity, Loyalty, Stability

She has been married to sculptor Don Gummer since 1978 and together they have raised four children. Over a 40-year career, she has given remarkable performances on film, stage, and television. On nearly every job, she has worked with the same make-up, hair, and wig artist: J. Roy Helland. With Helland, she has been Sophie, Silkwood, Kramer, Thatcher, Child, and the “devil” that wore Prada. 

The Devil Wears Prada, Barry Wechter, 2006 

III
A Pretty Face 

She is the oldest person to appear on the cover of American Vogue. 

Nigel Parry, 2010

IV
More Than Just a Pretty Face

She is the spokesperson for National Women’s History Month, an organization that aims to build a museum in Washington as well as a month dedicated to the accomplishments of women. She has worked with the Children's Health Environmental Coalition and penned the foreword to the book "Healthy Child, Healthy World.”

Meryl Streep and John Patrick Shanley by Annie Leibovitz, 2009


V
Award Winner
She has had 17 Academy Award nominations, more than any other actor. She has won three Oscars in addition to earning Emmys, Golden Globes, SAG Awards, and the Kennedy Center Honor in 2011.

Says Meryl, “While I am I am overwhelmingly proud of the work that, believe me, I did not do on my own. I can assure that awards have very little bearing on my own personal happiness. My own sense of wellbeing and purpose in the world, that comes from studying the world feelingly, with empathy in my work. It comes from staying alert and alive and involved in the lives of the people that I love and the people in the wider world who need my help. No matter what you see me or hear me saying when I'm on your TV holding a statuette spewing, that's acting. Being a celebrity has taught me to hide but being an actor has opened my soul.”

Life Magazine, 1979




No comments:

Post a Comment