Just like a flirty girl who gives smoldering attention to a boy she will never call, I am sorry to say that you are being played. You are a trick, a mark, a fool. You, dear country, love the guns but the guns, I'm afraid, simply don't love you.
Perhaps you've noticed these shootings that have taken place on your turf over the last few decades.
- July 1999 - A stock trader in Atlanta kills 13 people including his wife, his two children, and himself.
- August 2003 - A laid-off auto parts worker in Chicago murders six of his former colleagues.
- March 2005 - A man opens fire at the Living Church of God service in Wisconsin leaving seven people dead.
- March 2009 - A gunman kills eight elderly people in a nursing home in North Carolina.
- February 2010 – A professor opens fire at a University of Alabama faculty meeting, slaying three colleagues and wounding three others.
But you know what? I have no idea why I'm writing a list when you know all of this already! You're the US of A, for heaven's sakes! You hosted these shootings. This is what's going on right in your lap. These are the scars are on your skin.
So, Ms. America, if it's not in your soil, water, or air that causes people to behave like this, then by all means, tell us what it is! So far, some of the more popular theories are:
- Lack of mental health services. People simply are not getting the help they need.
- The revenge mentality of characters in our modern myths such as the gangster, the cowboy, and the regular-guy-turned-vigilante.
- The easy access to legal weapons.
- The lapsed Brady Bill.
Some feel "freedom" means the ability to purchase as many firearms as you want, whenever you want. Personally, I would like to define "freedom" as being able to go to a movie, college, high school, or house of worship without fear of someone waltzing through the front door and shooting 30 people with an semi-automatic assault rifle. You know, freedom to live in peace.
What do you say, America? Make some changes? Because, you know just as well as I do, you're in an incredibly dysfunctional relationship with guns and this can't go on.
Best wishes for a brighter tomorrow,