html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Watering the Garden

PAGES

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Watering the Garden

Rita Schiano - Talking about our problems is our greatest addiction. Break the habit. Talk about your joys.


You know the ones. They talk of nothing but injustices and pain. Parking tickets. Nepotism. Sexism. Racism. Crap childhoods. Lying neighbors. Dirty streets. Indifferent spouses. Debt.

It's not that these things don't exist. They do! For reasons beyond me, God has made sure ours is a world with an endless variety of challenges.

But if we have a garden, why ignore everything that's flowering or green? Why cultivate the the weeds? Why look after that which sucks the life out the soil and can never, ever help us grow?

This is what I've been asking myself lately. Because I have days where I'm watering the roses and days where I'm holding a bouquet of crabgrass close to my heart then thrusting it the face of everyone I see.

So the universe provides the garden and my job is to become a consistently good gardener of the words that come out of my mouth and the thoughts that live in my head.

Well, alrighty, then. That sounds fair. Cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment