html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Friday Night Videos

PAGES

Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday Night Videos

I was the kind of teen who liked to see arty and/or foreign movies. The less I understood, the better I thought the movie was. I mean, film. When it's fancy, it's a film. Put a lot of breath in the "i." Film. There you go.

I saw one film where a lady dabbling in the world of S&M gets set on fire then later laughs about it over lunch with a friend. That was called Woman on Fire.

I saw another where an Italian man dies his hair blonde and tries to fit in with the upper crust Swiss but all he can afford to eat is bread and chocolate. That one was called Bread and Chocolate.

So, as you can see, even if I didn't understand the film, I totally "got" the title.

Instead of studying for exams, doing homework, or getting enough sleep for the next day, I would stay up until 3 in the morning absorbing this all the Euro babble on cable. As far as I can remember, everything was about hunchbacks, clowns, gays, divas, the church, the help, the communists, incest, vineyards, suicide, or soccer. I was a moody, unpredictable teen and this was a moody, unpredictable artform. Me and the snooty movies were a perfect match.

Now, I never watch art house fare. It wasn't until I saw Dude, Where's My Car? that I understood what fine cinema truly is. But I can still relate to the inner turmoil of the art flick. It's my childhood, you know?

Have an unpredictable weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment