html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Fancy Design: A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Chales Swann III

PAGES

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Fancy Design: A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Chales Swann III

There's a new movie coming from director Roman Coppola. It's called A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Chales Swann III. The posters are not too subtle on the symbolism and look like this.
A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Chales Swann III - Roman Coppola, Director


A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Chales Swann III - Roman Coppola, Director
A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Chales Swann III - Roman Coppola, Director


A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Chales Swann III - Roman Coppola, Director


They instantly reminded me of Paper Moon Graphics greeting cards that was founded in 1977 and was terribly popular all throughout the '80's. If you don't know Paper Moon, their stuff is just so of the era. Sex, money, decadence, detached anxiety and vapid high gloss glitz. It's all there. But don't believe me. See for yourself.

Charles White III Balloon Dollar Sign Paper Moon GraphicsPaper Moon Graphics Happy Birthday


Paper Moon Graphics Peter Palombi 1979Paper Moon  GraphicsPaper Moon  Dennis Mukai 1982


Paper Moon Graphics Carol Bouman 1980

 Paper Moon Graphics Bob Hickson 1986

Paper Moon Graphics Peter Palombi

Paper Moon Graphics Mine 1977


As a kid, I loved to buy the cards, the stationary sets, the writing pads. But of course if there was a joke, innuendo or any deeper layer of meaning, I simply didn't get it.  Case in point: I bought a button for a friend that said "virgin" and had no idea what it meant outside of "pure." Actually, because of paintings of the Virgin Mary and the turn of phrase "virgin snow," I thought it meant "pale." She was really fair and freckly. I thought it was appropriate and would make her feel special. It goes without saying the other kids laughed.

Anyway, back to this movie. I checked IMDB and sure enough, the blurb reads, "A graphic designer's enviable life slides into despair when his girlfriend breaks up with him." Oh, and it takes place in the '70's. In other words: nailed it. Actually, the designers of the posters are the ones nailing it.

Either way, I don't know if I should be proud of myself or get a life.


Paper Moon Graphics Logo



No comments:

Post a Comment