html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Friday Night Videos

PAGES

Friday, November 23, 2012

Friday Night Videos

I shall put it in writing for I am not ashamed. I am a word nerd. Yes, I like to look up the meanings of place names. How else would I know that "kill" as in Fishkill, Peekskill, and Catskill comes from the middle Dutch word for "riverbed" or "creek?" 

Yes, I wonder how people manage to learn English when "rough" and "through" contain the same five letters in the same order yet are pronounced so differently. 

Yes, I make up words in Scrabble just based on roots, prefixes, and suffixes and often, I'm right. 

So when I came upon the web series Mysteries of Vernacular, I felt a little less alone in the world.   Not only do they pick words apart, they animate them, too!

Hey, here's an interesting fact: when you hear the "sk" sound at the beginning of an English word (skirt, skein, scorch, scarf, scare, scathe), it comes from when Vikings plundered and ruled the Shetland Islands off the coast of Scotland beginning in the 8th cenury.

Cool right? Right? Wrong.Wah-wah.


 

Have a wordy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment