html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Happy Anniversary!

PAGES

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Happy Anniversary!

Today is our 1 year anniversary. That’s right, the big 01. It’s got me thinking about the bits of advice I’ve received, what I’ve witnessed in my own behavior, and what I’ve learned. If there is anything I can say with certainty, it’s this: we have become more patient with one another.





My friend Nichole phrased it in a loving way stating we had become “more trusting of the process.” Gone is my short temperedness and the grand gestures like storming off paired with equally grand thoughts like “this is NEVER going to work out.” Now I take a breath and scan the room for the compromise. To my surprise, it’s always there.




Sue said that getting marred is an outward expression of hope for the future. Which, when you think about it, is so logical. If you thought it would never, ever, ever work out, you wouldn’t even bother. So when I said “I do,” I was also saying, “I give a shit.” For better or for worse, this is a new emotion for me.

  

Vivian said, “Marriage is the universe asking you to be a better person.” Even as I type that now, it makes me a little teary and goose bumpy and in the hilly distance, I can hear a Buddhist monk hitting a gong. So deep. So true. So humbling. So, yes. I have become a better person this year. And all I can say to that is, thank you, my love. Let’s just keep getting better!




No comments:

Post a Comment