html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Art Is...All Up in Your Business

PAGES

Monday, December 3, 2012

Art Is...All Up in Your Business

My "friend" Gretchen is terrible. She laughed at me. She laughed at my shelves. 

She saw how lovingly they are organized with their clear, Klip-It® BPA-free polypropylene boxes from Australia by way of the Container Store. How I made little labels that read cous cous, almonds, cashews, white rice, and the like. She witnessed my food storage, shall we say, philosophy - the simple beauty, the efficiency, the rectangular stackability - said, "Oh, my god. Are you serious?" followed by a series hearty chuckles.

The nerve. 

Like being gay, being organized is not a lifestyle choice. It's how God made me. And it's only gotten more awesome over time. This is how it works: I bought a Klip-It®  for every one of my oft purchased dry goods. Now, when one rectangle is empty, I know exactly which food item needs to be replaced and how much of it to buy. See, it's a permanent grocery list, Gretchen!

Murray teases me, too. He wonders why I take, say, feta out of the cheap, circular vessel it comes in only to place it in one of my own Tellfresh® containers. I have two words for you, dear husband: surface space. All the Tellfresh® (also available at the Container Store) are the same size! If you can stack containers neatly in the fridge, the fridge fits more food and you can see everything so nothing gets lost and rotten. Logic!

Furthermore, who knows when artist Mark Menjivar will knock on your door asking to taking pictures of your refrigerator. He could be lurking in your neighborhood right now wishing to snap your "food portrait." Though the flags and snakes make for interesting images, they don't really fit my system, you know? I am who I am.

Series: You Are What You Eat  - Mark Menjivar, photographer, 2010
This person is a bartender.

Series: You Are What You Eat  - Mark Menjivar, photographer, 2010
This person is a short order cook.

Series: You Are What You Eat  - Mark Menjivar, photographer, 2010
This person is a middle school science teacher whose family ate local produce for a week.

Series: You Are What You Eat  - Mark Menjivar, photographer, 2010
And this person is a badass.




1 comment:

  1. Raina, will you come to our house and organize us? I will pay your airplane ticket. Okay, that part is only in my dreams, but I could use your talents. AND, I would be able to see you again!!!

    ReplyDelete