html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Emerald: 2013

PAGES

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Emerald: 2013

Pantone has named Emerald as the Color of the Year for 2013. I have no idea why Pantone feels the need to declare such things but what's done is done. When I think of emeralds I think of Liz Taylor and money and Ireland. I think of make up in the 1970's and dresses in the 1930's. I think of The Wizard of Oz.


In their press release, the good people of Pantone tell us, "Since antiquity, this luminous, magnificent hue has been the color of beauty and new life in many cultures and religions. It’s also the color of growth, renewal and prosperity – no other color conveys regeneration more than green."

 
Prosperity. Magnificence. Growth. Regeneration. All this from a color? Reminds me of a writer friend who was sick of being broke so she wore a bit of green everyday to attract money. According to her, this strategy worked. She wore that green and better paying freelance jobs started coming her way. When she grew tired of seeing herself in green, she simply bought several pairs of green underwear and continued donning the color daily. More and more writing jobs came to her and she even published a novel. Again I ask, all this from a color?


Perhaps yes, perhaps no. Who am I to judge? I have nothing but self-help books on my iPod. We all have to get our strength from somewhere. Well, strength is inside of you but you need something to access it. Maybe that something is a soothing voice coming through your headphones telling you to love yourself. Maybe it's fancy jewelry. Or maybe it's Emerald, Pantone 17-5641.



Images
1. Getty
2. Cengiz Abasoglu
3. Shop Ruche
4. Christies
5. Vogue

No comments:

Post a Comment