html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Friday Night Videos

PAGES

Friday, December 14, 2012

Friday Night Videos

My mom was the one to break the news.

She said Santa Claus wasn't real, that it was just a story. I was about 5 years old at the time and totally unfazed by her words. My response was something akin to, "Uh, okay." And that should have been that.

But it's never that simple, life.

Being as non-plussed as I was, when a boy one year older than me pointed to an image of Santa's pudgy, twinkly face and said something about getting presents, I nonchalantly informed him it was all a hoax. A ruse. A placating myth.

This kid wasn't having it. He argued with me. I didn't care. He argued some more citing reindeer, snow, and chimneys as evidence. Please, we lived in Venice, CA and had never seen any of those things. I didn't budge. I didn't have to. I had the facts on my side!

And even so, I'll give you one guess who got "a talking to" because she messed with somebody's faith in the unseen. Department stores? Advertisers? Parents, neighbors, teachers, friends? No, not the world that lies to the kid but the kid who told the truth!

So frickin' uncool.
Anywho, have a factual weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment