html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Crappy Valentine's Day!

PAGES

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Crappy Valentine's Day!

I'm on the fence about celebrating Valentine's Day. In all honesty, I don't really care about it. But then every year when I see people on the train carrying home white teddy bears and red roses, I start feeling like I'm some craggy old St. Val's equivalent of The Grinch. I'm not a hater, per se. I'm more of an ambivalent-er.

Then I saw these cards, popular from Victorian times until the 1940's, known as Vinegar Valentines posted on Collectors Weekly. Now I'm rethinking the whole holiday. Had I known I could be a smart ass, I might have approached February 14 with more gusto over the years! I mean, "nerve-destroyer?" That is ten thousand times more delicious than a box of chocolates could ever hope to be.

These cards were meant to be sent anonymously in the mail. As the holiday is still a week away, you you have plenty of time to make your own Vinegar Valentine if you know someone deserving. But if you know someone deserving, shouldn't you just break up with them?








No comments:

Post a Comment