html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Laptop Travel: Giethoorn

PAGES

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Laptop Travel: Giethoorn

People say getting older makes you more stubborn. My feeling is that getting older just makes you more you. Example - for my adult life thus far, I have lived, more or less, in two cities: San Francisco and New York. Part of it was because I perceived these cities as being an artsy fartsy good time. But there was another reason: they are cities that don't require cars.

I'm not completely anti-car. Cars are fine, especially if you don't need one. Cars are particularly great for car trips, duh. But in all honesty, my preferred vacation spots, too, don't require a personal motor to get or enjoy being there. Philadelphia, Montauk, Asbury Park, Fire Island, any city in Europe...

So what do you get when you add getting old and curmudgeonly my more authentic self with not wanting to rely on the automobile? A place called Giethoorn in the Netherlands which seems to me to be heaven on earth.

Laptop Travel: Giethoorn, Netherlands - Image 1 - Lounging at the Waldorf
Laptop Travel: Giethoorn, Netherlands - Image 2 - Lounging at the Waldorf
Laptop Travel: Giethoorn, Netherlands - Image 3 - Lounging at the Waldorf

Founded in the 1200's by Franciscan monks (or, as world wide tabloid the Daily Mail describes them, "fugitives"), Giethoorn is located at the edge of a national park in the northwest corner of the province of Overijssel. There are no roads within the old village and all transport is done by bikes on lanes or by boats trough the canals. That's so freakin' quaint it puts the awww in awesome.

Laptop Travel: Giethoorn, Netherlands - Image 4 - Lounging at the Waldorf
Laptop Travel: Giethoorn, Netherlands - Image 5 - Lounging at the Waldorf
Laptop Travel: Giethoorn, Netherlands - Image 6 - Lounging at the Waldorf
Laptop Travel: Giethoorn, Netherlands - Image 7 - Lounging at the Waldorf

Giethoorn is home to less than 3000 people so for me to park it in this idyllic delight, I'd have to be ready for the quiet, rural life. Seeing I still haven't gotten my fill of artsy-fartsy fun, I doubt I'll be retiring there any time soon. Also, I have no idea how to pronounce it. 

Geet horn?
Gurt hurn?
Guy-ta-hoooooooooooorn?

Knowing Dutch, it's probably pronounced "hank" and all those other letters are silent. 

Enough babblizing. I leave you, dear reader, with one last, happy fact: in the dark, icy months of winter, you can work up a sweat and a smile in Giethoorn by skating through the town!

1 comment:

  1. Giethoorn is home to less than 3000 people so for me to park it in this idyllic delight, I'd have to be ready for the quiet, rural life. Seeing I still haven't gotten my fill of artsy-fartsy fun, I doubt I'll be retiring there any time soon. Also, I have no idea how to pronounce it. Goedkope tablet covers

    ReplyDelete