html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: ¿Cómo se dice...?

PAGES

Thursday, September 5, 2013

¿Cómo se dice...?

Carne de diván. My, what a convenient expression.

An idiom of Argentine Spanish, it means "meat for the couch" but I have come to translate it as "fruit for Freud." It's like this:

You fall off the wagon and wake up married in Tijuana. That's carne de diván.

You confront your mother who left the family to join a cult. That's carne de diván.

You're secretly ashamed of your wife's drinking and spend most parties hiding in the bathroom from her. That's carne de diván.

Basically, it's anything you do or feel then plop down on the couch and tell to your therapist later. In the olden days, I think people called it "confession." 

But before we move on to Eleven Untranslatable Words from Other Cultures and their pretty drawings, let's get some things clear. With the exception of some swear words learned on the schoolyard, I do not speak Spanish. Also, I have never been to Argentina. I have, however, created several bushels of fruit for Freud but I'll never tell.

Until you pry it out of me...





No comments:

Post a Comment