html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Happy Sunday

PAGES

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Happy Sunday

I read this quote on Facebook the other day and thought I'd share. Oh, don't act all cool like you don't get spiritual motivation from Facebook! All those quotes on sunset backgrounds? All those spectacular, everyday moments on Humans of New York?  I don't care what you say, we both know that reading about Michael Jordan's, Steve Jobs', and Oprah Winfrey's failures on their paths to glory uplifted you, gave you hope for a brighter tomorrow, if only for a second.

Anywho, this one comes from Rachel Brathen. I could open Illustrator and put this quote above a bridge shooting out over a calm body of water at dawn...but I'll spare you.

The yoga pose is not the goal.

Becoming flexible is not the goal. 

Standing on your hands is not the goal.

The goal is to create space where you were once stuck. To unveil the layers of protection you’ve built around your heart. To appreciate your body and become aware of the mind and the noise it creates. To make peace with who you are.

The goal is to love, well, you.

Come to your yoga mat to feel, not to accomplish.

Shift your focus and your heart will grow.

I know that yoga was invented to open up your body so you can meditate - supple spine, supple mind some yogis like to say. But I never really thought about it as getting unstuck. And if there is anything I need to do in this lifetime, it's get unstuck. You know that part of the Candy Land game board called Molasses Swamp? I think I fell in there at a young age and have been slowly pulling myself out ever since. 

So "getting unstuck" and "creating space" are now the ideas I bring to class with me. It's only been two days, but the light bulb has been illuminated. The seed has been planted. No matter what, from now on, as long as I show up to the practice, I'm working in this direction. And thank goodness for that because the molasses has exhausted me. I need to be free. 


No comments:

Post a Comment