html xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'> Lounging at the Waldorf: Important Television Review: Property Brothers

PAGES

Friday, August 12, 2016

Important Television Review: Property Brothers

I'm at home sick and watching episodes of the the most useful twins on TV, Tia and Tamera.



Oh, wait. I meant, The Property Brothers. 


If you are unfamiliar with the show a. I'm not sure we can still be friends and b. this is how it goes: 
  • Home buyers look at a bunch of houses that need renovations. 
  • They narrow their choices down to two homes. 
  • Handy, plaid-clad Canadian Jonathan Scott shows them what the homes will look like after the renovations. 
  • The buyers pick the house they want.
  • Then business savvy, tie-wearing Canadian Drew Scott negotiates the deal for them. 
I've watched this show a lot which is slightly ridiculous because they do the same exact makeover for every house: an open concept kitchen with stainless steel appliances, a double-vanity bathroom sink, recessed lighting, hardwood floors... 

"Yeah, but how will it look THIS time?" I ask myself in all seriousness. What I don't ever care about is which house they pick since no matter what, it will look better than before. That is, until today.

Frozen yogurt entrepreneurs, Stephan and Karina, have two kids and wanted each child to have an awesome bedroom. One house had bedrooms of equal size for both kids. The other house had a cute little bedroom for the girl and this humongous bedroom for the boy. Suddenly, I was emotionally invested. 

"You can't pick that house. You just CAN'T."

They did.

They made some reference to the fact that the boy, Samuel, was getting the bigger room because he was a few years older. They pandered to the girl, Alicia, by really driving home the point that she could pick all the shocking pink accoutrements that her heart desired. Then, it was time for the big reveal.

Alicia, saw her room and looked like this:




Then it was time to check out Samuel's room. It was maybe 2.5 times larger, had it's own bathroom, fireplace, mini fridge, deejay decks, and a video game station complete with vibrating, speaker clad chairs. From that moment on, Alicia looked like this:




Let's be real here: we should all be so blessed to have a roof over our heads. A stylish roof is a bonus. However, my heart broke a little watching the cloud of real world truths pass over her face. 

I doubt (I hope) I wasn't witnessing favoritism. But come on, even I, who grew up an only child, know better than to give siblings such uneven offerings. 

There were definitely elements of sexism in the episode during a strange mother-daughter vs. father-son interlude. It was a "Who-can-demo-this-room-faster?" moment in which the girls won the contest not by chiseling off bathroom tile but by handing one of the hosts a plate of peanut butter cookies. 

Even so, don't fret, Alicia. Here's what I learned right along with you.

What you are actually passionate about (video games) and what fulfills you creatively (deejaying) will bring you more joy than the more decorative elements of our lives. Pink trinkets are great, but they only go so far. 

In life, we often call things that lack substance but are meant to give off a favorable impression "window dressing." In this case, it happened to be actual as well as figurative window dressing which brings me to my next point: irony stings like a motherfucker. 

All this is big, big, stuff Miss Alicia. So thank you for helping me think about these things, causing me to take those thoughts a step further, and allowing me to remembering this:

Our health is more important than cars or homes.
We will remember dinners, vacations, and celebrations more than fancy clothes.
The relationships we nurture are more important than how much you weigh.

Trust me, girl. 


No comments:

Post a Comment